Biographies for the Koons Family, Aegidius Schaefer, Gustav Glawatz, Frederick Hoddick, Sr., Ernst Wilhelm Peseler, Margarethe Sophie Peseler, Anthony Neupert, Heinrich Baethig, and Bernhard F. Gentsch
Top: Amelia S., Henry, Elisabeth A.
Page 72 is blank.
The Koons Family
Jacob Henry Koons was one of the most successful German settlers to come to Buffalo in the 1830s. He was born in Alsatia in 1806, attended school there, and emigrated to America in 1828. He worked for many months on a farm in the vicinity of Guilderland, Albany County, N.Y. but then established an emporium * with his compatriot, F.J. Handel. The friends, who had left Alsatia together, operated this business until 1832.They then came to Buffalo and opened a small store on Main Street near Genesee. They sold specialty items or notions such as watches. Since Mr. Koons and his partner were capable businessmen, they were able to move forward and later establish a branch store in Paris, Ohio.
In 1848 Mr. Koons withdrew from the business.
Elisabeth Koons, nee Dellenbaugh, is a sister of Dr. Samuel and Dr. Friedrich Dellenbaugh. She was born on September 7, 1815 in the Swiss Canton of Bern. She came to America with her parents in 1823. Her parents settled in Georgetown, Ohio. On November 11, 1834 she married Mr. J.H. Koons of Buffalo, with whom she lived in wedded bliss for 55 years.
Henry Koons, son of the aforementioned, was born on October 9, 1838 in Buffalo. He attended the public school and then went to work for the American Express Company. After working there for 2 years he went West and learned the tanner's trade at G. Pfisler & Co. of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He stayed at the firm for 2 years then returned to Buffalo and took a position as clerk in the Office of the County Clerk from 1865 to 1871. In this last year he opened up a real estate office at 448 Main Street, which a year later he relocated to 474 Main Street. You'll find him there today. Absolute honesty in all business transactions is the guiding principle, which Mr. Koons follows. Over the years his business has flourished because of that.
Elisabeth A. Koons, a daughter of Mr. & Mrs. J.H. Koons, was born in Buffalo on January 27, 1843. She attended Public School 13 and married Mr. Philip Schweikhart on October 6, 1863. She has blessed him with 4 children. The family residence is at 69 East Huron Street.
Amelia S. Koons, born on May 22, 1848 in Buffalo, is also a daughter of Mr.and Mrs. J.H. Koons. She received an excellent education at the public school and through private schooling. She married Mr. John Fullerton on May 2, 1871. They live at 73 East Huron Street. There is one daughter from the marriage.
Louise J. Koons, who also belongs to this highly respected family, was born on August 16, 1853 in Buffalo. She received a good education at the public schools and on June 20, 1876 she married the reknown apothecary, Edward J. Liebetrut. The couple lives at 71 East Huron Street.
Mary A. Koons is the youngest daughter of the late Mr. J.H. Koons. She was born on September 20, 1855 at the house at 73 East Huron Street, where she lives today with her mother and her family. She attended Public School 13 and later the high school. On August 23, 1877 she married Mr. John Reimann, who died on April 19, 1886. One son came from the marriage.
Edward L. Koons was born on October 1, 1861. He is the youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. J.H. Koons. After attending a public school and Central High School he entered the tax and title search business and is currently Secretary and Treasurer of the Erie County Guaranteed Search Company. On May 12, 1886 he married Anna C. Hengerer. Two children have resulted from the marriage. His residence is at 191 Linwood Avenue.
was born on November 30, 1852 in Buffalo. After receiving a good education at St. Michael's Church School, he became an apprentice for Franz Hafner, who operated a book, picture frame and stationery business. He stayed there for 6 years as a saleman. After that he worked for 17 years in the same shoe business while at the same time the store changed owners 3 times. The owners were Franz Kleber, A. Snyder and lastly Jos. Ellsworth. The fact that Mr. Schaefer continued to work at the same business while it passed through 3 owners attests to his ability and perseverence. Since May 1896 he's been successful in his own shoewares business at 148 East Tupper Street. He is a member of Branch 18 of the C.M.B.A.,and a member of the Men's Sodality of St. Michael's Church. He is married to Anna Philipps. The marriage has been blessed by 5 children, of which one has died.
whose full name is Peter Heinrich Gustav Glawatz, was born on June 8, 1823 in Rotenburg (Hannover). He attended the elementary school in his father city and later went to the seminary in Stade to become a teacher. He specialized in music and after finishing his examinations he became employed as a music and speech teacher at an institute in Wandsbeck near Hamburg. In 1848 he married Louise Wilhelm, the widow of a landowner. He gave up teaching and became a farmer in Liebenau, Hannover. His wife gave him 3 daughters. After she died he emigrated to America in 1862 and came directly to Buffalo. In 1865 his daughters followed him to Buffalo. He married Miss Anna Delitsch. Five children came from this marriage - Cecilie, Bernhard, Anna, Hermann, and Emma. These children and his children from the first marriage all lived together in Buffalo. Since Mr. Glawatz settled here he has been successfully employed as a music teacher. He never held public office however he has been involved in the musical and social life of the city. He is a long time member of the Liedertafel. He lives at 498 West Utica Street.
Frederick Hoddick, Sr.
Among the Germans who have emigrated here from the old fatherland throughout the years and among those who have contributed to the development and prosperity of Buffalo, Mr. Frederick Hoddick may justifiably be singled out. Mr. Hoddick was born on April 30, 1814 in Langenburg, Prussia. After receiving a good education, he went into the gold smithing trade. Capable and energetic about all he learned, he became a skilled worker who was soon in a position to secure a good living for himself. He was torn from his peaceful and active life by the political storms of 1847 and 1848. He himself had taken part in the fight for political freedom, and this prompted his decision to emigrate to America. In 1848 he landed in New York and stayed there for about a year and then he settled in Buffalo. Since Mr. Hoddick possessed exceptional musical talent, he came to the attention of the firm of George A. Prince and Co., a harmonium and melodeon factory. The firm recognized the young man's ability. In order to keep him there they made him a manager of the business. The improvements he designed into the instruments were more than just slightly responsible for the business' success. He stayed loyally at the side of the firm for 33 years.
Ernst Wilhelm Peseler, Margarethe Sophie Peseler
Page 76 is blank.
Ernst Wilhelm Peseler
was born on December 2, 1820 in Leer, East Friesland, Hannover. He acquired his first schooling in the elementary and business schools in his home district. After graduation he attended the higher elementary school in order to become a teacher. In 1838 he became school teacher and organist in Leer, positions he held until 1851, in which year he emigrated to America. He arrived on June 18th. He immediately became the teacher and organist for the town of Lebanon, Wisconsin, an area of pure, primal forests. In May 1853 he came to Buffalo and lived here ever after. He had to earn his living with his hands through physical labor, stenuous and difficult. He shunned nothing in order to lend a hand to those in need. In 1855 he was able to return to his profession. He took a position as teacher and organist at St. Peter's School at the corner of Genesee and Hickory Streets. He stayed there until 1867. From 1855 to 1873 he was also organist for Pastor Vogt's French Protestant Church at the corner of Ellicott and Tupper Streets. From 1867 to 1890 Mr. Peseler owned a dry goods business at 382 Genesee Street. He started it with surplus capital. It was just after the war and times were tough, so in 1869 he built a private school, which he operated until 1876. He considered the young people he chose to be from the best German families. They wanted to expand their knowledge.
Margarethe Sophie Peseler,
nee Sieling, wife of the above mentioned, was born on May 2, 1822 in Zetel, Oldenburg. She received her education at the parish school. She was a model homemaker, wife, and mother. In joy and in sadness she loyally remained at the side of her husband and courageously shared his fate, as mixed by the heavens amid the sunny days of their union. She was a caring mother for her children. Fate dealt her a heavy blow through them and caused her unbearable bereavement. She guided and presided over the cozy family home at 605 Oak Street with sage prudence and active hands, ever vigilent to the needs of her family, their concerns, their well being, their entire world. She was a woman of virtue, who recognized the role of the proper German wife and behaved accordingly.
In the bearer of this name we find a man who gave the best of his abilities and intentions to help his fellow human beings, especially his German compatriots. No labor was too great and he spared no effort to foster and support their undertakings. Mr. Neupert was born in 1839 in Marienweiler, Upper Franken. In the local public school he secured the basic knowledge to become a capable tradesman. His parents then placed him as a apprentice to a soap maker. In 1852 the decision was made, thus the youngster, filled with fine German knowledge, came with his parents to Buffalo. He attended the public school here and through luck and skill working at various businesses managed to establish a wholesale carpet business. Circumspection and business sense made this one of the best-going concerns in the city. As we've already said, Mr. Neupert was always ready to support the endeavors of the German community, thus we see him become one of the founders of the Volksfreund [The People's Friend, a German newspaper], and we see him as a crusader and cofounder of the Catholic Orphanage, in which he had a special interest and for which he is Treasurer. Further Mr. Neupert is one of the directors of the Erie Fire Insurance Company, the Cemetery Association, the Metropolitan Bank and the Clinton Co-operative Brewing Co., of which he is a cofounder.
On July 25, 1860 he married Miss Barbara M. Brözel, who gave him several children. Two daughters and 4 sons are still living. Mr. Neupert has retired from business and the troubles of life and enjoys a well deserved rest in the circle of his kin at his comfortable and pleasant home at 616 Oak Street.
Mr. Heinrich Baethig was a thoroughly capable person with a multifaceted kind of genius. He was an old German pioneer in the truest sense of the word, not just a new settler in this city, this state or this land, but a pioneer when it came to life and its application. Born on November 22, 1809 in Halbau, Prussia-Silesia, he attended the local school and then travelled to Breslau to attend the secondary school and pass the college admissions exams. Later he went the the university and matriculated into the Theology Department. His rich spirituality made his studies easy and he would have secured for himself a fine career were it not for his misgivings about the old fatherland. He came to the Promised Land, America.
Bernhard F. Gentsch,
one of the most treasured men in the broadest circles of the entire county because of his excellent character, was born on April 12, 1835 in Sachs-Altenburg. He emigrated to America in 1854. As soon as he landed in New York, he turned his steps towards Buffalo. He found employment as a platelayer on the New York Central Railroad. Later when he no longer found this work sufficient, he found employment at Clark's Distillation. He maintained both jobs successfully. In 1859 he became a partner in Mennich's Vinegar Factory and he managed to significantly increase the business. In a few years he became sole owner of the business. His conscientiousness, his great circumspection, and his practical business sense soon made him a wealthy man. In 1878 he was elected to the Assembly. It had been 20 years since the strongly democratic First Assembly District had elected a Republican as their representative in Albany. From 1890 to 1893 he was Postmaster of Buffalo.