Silesian families with their pastor L.F.E. Krause left the old fatherland and founded a new home in Buffalo in order to enjoy the perfect liberty of confession. Oppressed by many internal and external troubles the community grew slowly in the beginning. In 1840 the community under its pastor E.M. Burger, who in the meantime had been appointed, bought a lot on the corner of William and Milnor Streets, and erected a little brick church there, which served as a church and school for a number of years. In 1867, 65 families joined the community which for the sake of confession had separated from the congregation of Pastor Grabau. As a consequence of this growth the community had not enough room in the old church and in the same year the lot was bought and the present church erected. Three years later the large school building in use was built.
At the end of the eighties the community founded its first branch community by the name of Emmaus. Fifty families were sent to this one and an unencumbered church property worth about $4,000 was given to them. A few years later the English filial community "Calvary"
Caption under picture at right center reads Elk Street Market, Produce and Fruit Houses
 Translator's note: The full story of the First Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church can be found in a 50th Anniversary booklet published in 1889 and available at http://www.archivaria.com/Trinity/TrinityIndex.html
and a few years later the German filial congregation "Gethsemane" originated from it. These two communities received great assistance from the mother church in acquiring a church property.
From the time of its foundation the Trinity Church has taken the greatest care to secure a good parochial school. In the school the children are instructed by the most efficient teachers in religion as well as in all necessary secular branches. Both languages, German and English are taught equally carefully. In this way the children are educated in the school to be good Christians and at the same time good citizens.
The present pastor of the church, Rev. August Senne, continues the work in the spirit of his predecessors and has been rewarded for his zeal with the greatest success.
The names of the present church wardens are: F.W. Burow, C. Busse , J. Henning, J. Ulrich, J. Rudolph. Trustees are: L. Reinsch, A. Braeunlich, C. Keitsch, H. Gahwe, J. Dreger, W. Dietrich and H. Voth.
Evangelical Lutheran St. Andrew Congregation
In the fall of 1858 fourteen men united and founded the Evangelical Lutheran St. Andrew congregation. The following are the names of the founders: Jobst Kreinheder, Herm. Kreinheder, H. Kinnius,, H. Bockstedt, C. Bohle, F. and C. Tepe, Wm. Rose, G. Kratzat, F. Beck, W. Woelfel, M. Wiemann and J. Hauschild. The congregation was served by the pastors J.A.A. Grabau and Chas. Hochstetter. The first elders were: Jobst Kreinheder, Christian Pohlmann and Christian Tepe. On the 10th day of July 1859 a new brick church, 40 x 60 feet was dedicated. From the beginning it was the aim of the congregation that its children should receive a christian education and that they might always preserve their mother tongue. As the school had increased, a two-story frame schoolhouse was erected. In the beginning the ministers taught the children. The first regular school teacher was Fr. Hoffmeyer, who was followed by J.O.G. Robert. There are now 260 children in the
Caption under picture at right center reads First Ev. Trinity Church
same with the following teachers: P. Schulz, H. Brauer and C. Manske. In the year 1885 a new church edifice, 52 x 105 feet was dedicated and the old church changed into a schoolhouse. The present pastor of the congregation is J. Sieck, who served the same since June, 1883. The present elders are: E. Thiesfeld, L. Mau, W. Luedemann, D. Pieper and E. Dude, and the present trustees: J.D. Langner, W. Pohlmann. A. Thom, A. Goerlitz and O. Kraemer.
Ev. Luth. Emmaus Church
This church originated from a mission which in 1888 had been organized by Pastor A. Senne of the Ev. Luth. Trinity congregation, whose church is on Michigan Street, near Genesee. The mission was organized February 13th, 1889; church and school building are on Southampton Street, near Jefferson. In the Fall of 1888 Pastor A.T. Hanser took charge of the mission. He is still pastor of the church, which now numbers 150 families. Besides the usual organizations this congregation excells in having one of the most flourishing
Caption under picture at right center reads Ev. Luth. St. Andrew Church
parochial-schools in Buffalo. It has 200 pupils who are taught by three first-class teachers in all branches especially in the German language. The names of the present trustees are: A.T. Hanser, president; Wm. Rohde, secretary; Th. Buerger, cashier; Herm. Schwarz, Alb. Dombrowski, Heinr. Harder, Gottfr. Lang and Johann Camin.
Evangel. Luth. Gethsemane Congregation
The Evangel. Luth. Gethsemane Church is situated on Goodyear Street. It was founded October 9th, 1892, and was incorporated October 16th, 1892. At the time of its foundation the congregation numbered twenty members, while at present it has more than a hundred. April 4th, 1893, a parochial school with thirty-two pupils was opened, and Mr. C.F. Lemke was appointed its teacher, who still holds that position. At present the school has one hundred children and is divided into two classes. Through the liberality of the missions societies of the sister churches the congregation received a property.
Since its foundation the church was under the leadership of Pastor Geo. H. Bartling, and his work has been successful as can be seen by the above statements. The names of the church-wards are: Pastor Geo. H. Bartling, president; Fr. Knitle, secretary; J. Pohlmann, treasurer; H. Kampovski, H. Schroeder, Fr. Kratzke, M. Mallne, W. Walter and N. Schwartz.
Ev. Luth. St. Paul's Church
The German Ev. Luth. St. Paul's Church and A.C. of Buffalo, Erie County, was founded December 19, 1886. In the spring of 1887 the church was enabled to erect a building on Scoville Avenue for the purpose of holding services and opening a parochial school. This school was in the beginning conducted by the pastor of the congregation; but the rapid growth of the same made it necessary to double the size of the school-building in 1896 and in 1897 to appoint as teacher Mr. C. Janezikowsky , who syill teaches the school. The congregation
Caption under picture at center reads The German Martin Luther Seminary
counting 12 families at the time of its organization, gradually increased to 75 families in 1900. Pastors were: C. Peters, 1886 - 90; P. Graupner, 1890 - 92, and W.J. Kaiser, 1892 - 95. The present Mr. E.G. Holls is pastor.
The congregation numbers at present 67 active members. There are 250 communicants and the total number of persons connected with the church is 425. From 60 to 70 children attend the school of the church, 150 children the Sunday-school. The Young Men's Association has 31, the Junior Department 35 members.
The present officers of the church are: Pastor E.G. Holls, President; W. Eising, Secretary; Geo. Muhl, Cashier; C. Gajevsky, Financial-Secretary; Chr. Hochgrehe, Cashier of gifts for synod purposes; H. Nehls and H. Hagelberger, School-Inspector; Henry Kruse and R. Schulz, almskeepers.
The Evangelical Lutheran Immanuel Congregation
The Evangelical Lutheran Immanuel congregation on Longnecker Street, East Buffalo, was established in the year 1894, with the assistance of the missionary societies of the Missouri congregation of Buffalo. Pastor J.W. Kaiser, at that time pastor of the lutheran St. Paul's congregation, first served the newly organized congregation, and its first members were: W. Metzler, G. Weigold, G. Machholz, D. Fischer and B. Tresselt. In the fall 1895 Pastor F. Th. Ruhland was called, who is its pastor at the present time.
Its services at first were conducted in the methodist church edifice on Lovejoy Street and later on in a vacant store on the same street. In November 1896 the corner-stone was laid for its church and school buildings , which were dedicated the latter part of January 1897. The erection of these buildings was made possible by the effectual assistance of the mission societies. Since January 1896 the congregation conducted, besides its Sunday school a weekday school, which is well attended and patronized. This congregation has constantly grown since its insignificant beginning.
The officers of the congregation are: F. Th. Ruhland, pastor; W. Metzler, G. Weigold und [sic] A. Seidliz, trustees.
The German Martin Luther Seminary
One of the oldest ecclesiastical high schools in the city is the German Martin Luther Seminary, the theological school of the German Evangelical Lutheran Buffalo Synod. This school was established in the year 1840 by Pastor J.A.A. Grabau, deceased, for the purpose of the education and preparation of lutheran ministers and teachers for the church and school. The seminary for a period of about fourteen
Caption under picture at left center reads Pastor Francis H. Günther
Return to Indexes
Go on to Pages 277 - 281
Revised May 8, 2005